Monday, August 1, 2011

I rediscovered running two years ago this month.  I didn't start running again to lose weight, althought I certainly needed to.  I didn't start running again to get into shape, although I certainly needed to.  No, I started running again because running found me.

The economy crashed, which set in motion a series of events that, in the end, left me with a lot of free time to fill.  There were suddenly a lot of unknowns in my life, and I knew that there existed a potential for me to slip, little by little then further and further, into depression.  I decided that the best thing I could do to prevent this was to start exercising.  I started with dusting off my treadmill, finding my old, yet seldom used, running shoes, and ran.  My first run wasn't much, but, unbeknownst to me, these were my first steps on a journey I didn't know I was beginning.

All my preconceptions about running were wrong, and it would take the better part of a year to get beyond most of them.  Fortunately, through pure chance, I discovered the right path almost from the start.  At the time, this path lacked definition, but is now known as minimalist running.

I've been toying with the idea of starting a blog about my running experiences for some time, but for one reason or another, I've put it off until now.  I plan on retracing my early steps on this journey and record my steps as I move forward.  My intent is to incorporate video of my runs captured by me during my runs.  Whether or not that happens depends on the how practical it is, though my initial attempt looks promising.

At the time of this post, I'm still constructing my site.  I had actually started this blog using wordpress, unfortunately, I've discovered that the service has some limitations that won't mesh with how and what I want to share on my blog.  So hopefully, after a few posts, some learning, and tweaks, I'll start actively sharing this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment